Tuesday, October 19, 2010

First time in labor - week 32

At week 32 I went for a routine baby stress test. I have to say that by this point I was not really into research as I had been through so many terrrible possible outcomes with doctors etc. I had decided that by this point I was ready and that i was excited. All I looked into was that this was a non invasive test as I would have to do it every week until the birth. Turns out they just put a heart monitor on each baby.

They find the heart beat with a circular pad and leave it on your belly while they measure the heart rate. I find it amazing that they could find each baby.Once again I had comments on 'how active' my babies were.Anyway, they also happened to see on this test that I was in labor! I didn't feel anything. They sent me for a scan and my cervix was short, so I got sent straight to hospital. Luckily J was with me for that scan.

Once in hospital I was put in my room and strapped to more monitors. The little round plastic pads for monitoring the babies' hearts and one for contractions. This started to get sore after a few hours as the skin was so thin by this stage. I was also given a painful shot (1 of 2) of steroids (for the babies lungs incase they had to be delivered early), had a ton of blood drawn, and had the most awful shot of a drug called Terbutaline which was for stopping labor. This shot felt like 50 cups of coffee (and I don't drink coffee). I was shaking violently and felt like my heart was going to explode. But it worked as over the next 2 days my contractions stopped. I was realeased from hospital 3 days later on the Sunday.

This is when I realized how much my husbands support meant to me as I was pretty stuck. He stayed on a camp bed next to me the whole time and helped me get in and out of bed. I was soooo huge I could hardly do this anymore, specially with wires attached!

I was told that I had to be on bedrest at home. Just get up to shower, eat and minimal stuff.
I remember trying to go for a short walk downstairs to a cafe and that was a task and a half. It took me ages to get there and I had to carry my belly :) At the time I just didn't even think about how bad I was. I just thought it was all part of being pregnant and didn't think about discomfort or problems.

The picture below was taken 3 weeks earlier. I was much much bigger by week 32.I didn't take any photos as the occasion never arose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment