Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Don't trust the test!

One minute we were postponing the baby thing...the next a quick change of plan and then back to "maybe later". I decided to take a pregnancy test.... just in case. On the Monday I took one of those fancy "5 days before your period" tests only to get a negative result. I decided I would go out that weekend with friends as my husband was away in London working. Luckily I decided to retake the test on the Saturday...again, just in case. It was POSITIVE! No partying for me after all. Now I had to wait a whole week for my husband to come home so I could tell him. I didn't want to tell him over the phone, and I also didn't feel like I could tell anyone else until he knew.....so I was a single parent for a whole week.
It was hard as I was so excited...I wanted someone to share it with me. A few days later I went to the doctor to confirm the pregnancy and she was the first person to congratulate me. It made it more real to hear it out loud.

I had a call from my husband telling me he may stay another weekend to catch up with family. I said I needed him back and insisted he return (which everyone I'm sure thought was totally unreasonable and out of carachter). He came back thinking there was something wrong, and was so happy when I told him the great, unexpected news. He didn't waste any time in calling all the family to share the news.

Everyone was super shocked....probably because we never discussed the subject of when we would have kids with anyone (even ourselves much). It was much better this way. You don't want the pressure of people knowing you're trying and asking every 5 minutes...plus nothing beats a nice suprise :)

We DIDN'T expect this to happen instantly, much less what was to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment